Monday, October 1, 2007

the envelope of life (and the night before)

let me give a quick recap. about 9 months ago, january 16th, i had just finished my second day at a new job with the small software company called mobiledataforce. i get home long enough to grab my workout clothes and head off to the gym where i'm meeting a friend to get in some (still) much needed exercise.

i get home expecting to see my wife vegging out on the couch, watching some prime-time crime investigation drama love story. she's on the couch, but the t.v. is off. she hands me an envelope with a card inside, a fairly normal occurrence, but her tears were a fair indication to me that something was different with this card. what could be different about this particular little card? two words: pink line. and i could tell by the faint aroma of ammonia that it wasn't marker.

it's times like these that force me to take a step back and laugh at God's sense of humor. you see, about a month previous to this "incident" i had purchased a puppy for my wife. it was, subconsciously, in effort to fend off the looming question, "when are we going to start trying to have kids?"

it was also two days after i had started a new job. a job that i wanted when my job hunt started 8 months earlier. a job that paid enough that, as a family, we decided i would be making enough money for my wife to stay home with a child "in case we get pregnant."

so here i am, 9 months later. due date of october 2nd, and it just so happens that my wife will be induced tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. this will inevitably turn out to be the most life-altering, and rewarding, accident i will ever have caused. she is a gift, and even though my emotions of fear and excitement are a water-and-oil mixture, they manage to exist together.

like a game of hide-and-seek, entirely independent on whether or not i am ready...here she comes.

No comments: